Tuesday, July 17, 2007

eating

Since we have a kitchen, and since Stockholm is so expensive (coffee and a couple of pastries will set you back about $10), we've mostly been eating in. Our meals are not much different than the same boring meals we eat at home even when cooking with unfamiliar brands and when I don't understand the list of ingredients on the packages. But we have discovered some new foods too. Some of the foods we have enjoyed or tried are:
  • Swedish pancakes (already cooked and pre-packaged -- probably not as good as those made from scratch, I'm sure, but certainly convenient) served with lingonberry jam
  • coarse breads, flat breads and crisp breads (you can find the Wasa brand in the States but there are so many more brands and so many more shapes and sizes here)
  • sweet brown goat cheese (which is actually a Norwegian import)
  • morning buns (the Swedish variation seems to be made with a hint of cardamon)
  • müsli (eaten with Turkish yogurt, of course!)
  • and, of course, I did buy a jar of pickled herrings but I think I may have been the only one in the family to eat any
We've already developed brand loyalty to anything made at the Saltå mill. They're the ones who make the müsli we like the best. They specialize in organic, whole grains (breads, pasta, even rice), nuts, juices, beans.

4 comments:

Jan said...

I can understand why you'd eat in...wonder what an average meal out costs?!

Do you have a source for fresh organic produce? Something like Whole Foods?

What a lovely picture of A and L. I miss you all so much and send my love.

margaret said...

Well ... a pretty mediocre salad and sandwich plus a drink and a coffee cost us about $20 today. Most of the stores have organic produce which, obviously, is more expensive. We learned to identify it by the term "ekologisk."

Jan said...

Thanks Margaret...you have taught me my first Swedish word! I'm assuming "ekologisk" means organic.

Unknown said...

Do Swedish people have higher income than us?
I also know they pay high tax but for return
they get free medical care and they probably
have good school system.
I wonder how much family of four will have to
pay for their grocery weekly?

Anna and Leah you are so beautiful.

Love,
Grandma